Empire Movers Blog
Long Distance Moving Basics
April 13, 2011
Using the help of a long distance moving company is not only a wise decision, but it can also turn out to be a cost-effective move as well. Moving is hard enough, so remember to enjoy the little fun things that come with it. For this you must be prepared. Good planning and efficiency will take your mind of things and make you feel more relaxed about the long distance move. We’ve prepared a list with some basic, but important information you will want to keep handy to help guide you through your move.
1. Plan your long distance move from the beginning.
Whether you are moving to the next state over or across the country, it is important to start planning your move well in advance.
2. Find out as much as you can on your new hometown.
Moving to a new state can be an exciting time, but you can also find yourself feeling uncomfortable if you are truly unfamiliar with your surroundings.
3. If you have children, include them in the planning.
4. Don’t pack things you do not need in order to make your move easier. And cheaper!
Why pay the long distance moving company money to transport these items if you don’t want or need them anyway? Besides, starting fresh in a new home with less clutter is a great way to begin your new life in your new hometown.
5. Let everyone know you are moving. From the kids’ school, your bank, your utility companies, your insurance company, and anybody else you can think of that will need to know this information.
6. Make sure to keep in touch with your long distance moving company.
It is a good idea to call your long distance moving company at least from time to time just to make sure everyone is still on the same page as far as your move is concerned.
7. And at last: Make your move an enjoyable experience! Both for you and for your family.