Empire Movers Blog
How to Move a Couch-Zilla?
November 30, 2011
Well, it is a pretty common concern during a move: how to squeeze a sofa through a narrow door or twisted stairs? Moreover, you wouldn’t want to be the “star” of a Youtube moving couch fail 🙂
That is why we selected useful tips from professional movers and best tips around the web to help you accomplish this “heavy” duty.
Twisting, pushing, turning, removing parts, maneuvering…just a second!
- First, it’s always best to plan. Check how much space do you have in order to move your couch.
- Measure the width and height of the sofa as well as the elevator entrance/ door opening or stairwell to know exactly if your couch has a chance to fit. In some cases, it will be necessary to remove the door to obtain some more free space.
- Check if the pathway is clear of obstructions or breakable objects.
- Call a friend to help you with moving. You are not Hulk to handle it yourself :), so make sure that you discuss what you have to do.Also, rehearsing is recommended if you don’t have experience in moving couches.
- Most of the sofas can be demounted and the pillows, cushions can be removed so you should consider diminishing the sofa’s weight.
- Place the couch on the back, as it will be easier to move it.
- Finally, set the right angle and slide the sofa through the doorway while coordinating your steps with your helper. Don’t rush and check thoroughly the corners of the couch and find a safe spot to place it.
Good luck! 🙂