Empire Movers Blog
Moving NYC: How to Pack the Bedroom?
January 18, 2013
In the previous post, we talked about kitchen packing tips, but how do you handle packing and moving bedroom items? Here are some great moving tips for an easy bedroom packing! You might think that, by far, it is not the most challenging room to pack. However, for the most people, bedroom is not just a “sleeproom”. For women it is a place for daily battles of “which dress to wear today”, jewelry hunting, some hide their most valuable items in the mattresses. Therefore, actually there are many aspects to take care of when it comes to get your bedroom stuff for moving:
- Cleaning your bedroom is the best way to start the packing process, as it will offer you the possibility to evaluate quickly the amount of items to move and to avoid searching or squeezing items after their boxes have been already filled and secured.
- During the cleaning, make sure to put aside things, clothes that are not useful anymore. Place them in separate boxes and assign them for yard/garage sale or donation. Despite the pleasant feeling of refreshing your wardrobe, you will cut the cost of the moving bill substantially.
- After selecting the items you want to get rid, it’s time to make an inventory of the bedroom items that will be transported to the new location. This list will be of great help for estimating the amount of moving boxes and packing materials needed and checking if all your belongings arrived safely.
- If you are ready for packing, remember to start small and leave the big furniture items for the final touch. Gather your family pictures, decorations, toys, books and place them in small / medium boxes. Also, don’t forget to label them accordingly.
- Next, it’s time to carefully pack your clothing, shoes and special wardrobe boxes can be of great help at this stage. Using these kind of moving boxes will make unpacking easier as well, as we will transport your clothes safely and wrinkle-free. If wardrobe boxes are not available, then consider using suitcases: it’s a practical option and they don’t occupy so much space in the moving truck.
- Be especially cautious when packing books, precious art works or electronics. They can be damaged during transportation, so make sure that your NYC movers are informed about the valuable items to be moved. Consider opting for insurance as no one can promise a 100% safe move.
- Finally, when dealing with bigger items, such as beds, mattresses, dressers, ask your movers to bring special covers and furniture blankets to protect these items. In addition, don’t forget to clear them of other items stored.
- Label, label, label. Time invested in organizing the contents of the moving boxes will pay off when you’ll arrive at the new destination.
Have a great move and take it step by step: you’ll be done packing soon!