Moving tips & checklists
House moving can be quite a stressful event, but Empire Movers NYC is here to help you through and give you the best house moving tips and helpful relocation checklists. The way you prepare your belongings for transportation will affect both the speed of your move and the condition in which they arrive. That is why we provide you with the basic house moving tips and packing advice. General rules for packing are really just common sense:
- 1 Try to put heavier items in smaller boxes and light bulky items in larger boxes. Do not over or under pack boxes. If you over pack, the box is likely to split and you will have things sticking out the top. This makes it difficult for the mover to stack them inside the truck. Under packing boxes is also detrimental – often the top of the box will dent in or collapse.
- 2 Try to use newer, sturdier boxes. Boxes that have seen many moves may not keep your belongings as safe as a newer box. Used grocery store boxes will work fine for sturdy items, but pack breakables in something more substantial.
- 3 Use plenty of packing materials – packing paper, peanuts, bubble wrap. It is very important to put a generous layer of materials at the bottom of boxes containing fragile items.
These house relocation tips and suggestions for packing are general guidelines. The following are some specific moving and packing ideas for items that people usually have questions about. If you have further enquiries about an aspect not covered here, feel free to give us a call or send us an e-mail. Our team of experienced New York City Movers has many other great home / house moving tips, tricks and packing lists easy to follow.
Special items moving tips
Books, Records, CDs moving tips: Pack these items in smaller boxes. Records should be packed on end, side by side.
China moving tips: Wrap china and all fragile objects in paper individually. Large plates and heavy pieces should be placed on their edge and on the bottom of the container. Cups and saucers should be placed towards the top of the box. Plates and dishes should be placed in vertical position, with pads of paper in between.
Mirrors, glass tops to furniture, large pictures moving tips: For complete safety, these items may be crated for shipment. For local moves, these items can be covered with bubble wrap or placed in picture / mirror cartons.
Valuables moving tips: You should move legal documents, jewelry, and currency personally. Keep these items in your possession throughout the move.
One month prior to move day moving checklist
- Book a moving company. If you are moving in the summer, you may wish to call movers 2-3 months in advance to ensure availability on your desired date.
- Notify the post office.
- Notify doctors, dentists, and other service providers.
- Notify your Human Resources and/or Payroll department at work.
- Order moving supplies.
- Sort and discard/donate unwanted items. Many charitable organizations will pick items up.
- Confirm elevator, loading dock and parking space reservations for move day at both origin and destination addresses.
- Begin packing, clearly labeling boxes with your name, contents and box destination. (i.e. “DR” for Dining Room, “MBR” for Master Bedroom.
Two weeks prior to move day moving checklist
- Notify the department of motor vehicles.
- Notify utility companies, as applicable:
- Cell Phone
- Gas/Oil (also schedule gas appliances to be disconnected)
- Internet Service Provider
- Home security/alarm
- Make arrangements for disassembly of difficult items (pool tables, swing sets, etc.).
- Make arrangements for parking permits, where applicable. If moving with Empire Movers, your Move Coordinator can advise regarding this step.
- Make arrangements for a babysitter/pet-sitter on move day, as necessary.
- Arrange for time off from work to prepare for the move and to be present on move day.
One week prior to move day moving checklist
- Confirm move date and time with your moving company. If moving with Empire Movers, your Move Coordinator will contact you 5-7 days prior to the move to ensure that all details are accurate for move day.
- Provide the moving company with your new telephone number, if applicable.
- Complete the high-value inventory form provided by your moving company and choose the appropriate valuation option. If moving with Empire Movers, your Move Coordinator can assist with this process.
- Remove fragile and loose items from drawers and pack carefully in small moving boxes.
- Remove all permanently affixed items you wish to take from walls and ceilings (drapes, lighting fixtures, ceiling fans, etc.).
- Change address with all newspapers, magazines and other periodicals you may be subscribed to.
One day prior to move day moving checklist
- Consolidate clearly-marked boxes of fragile items in one area of your home. Alert your moving crew about these boxes on move day.
- Identify furniture that is fragile by nature or has been weakened by previous damage and prepare to bring it to your crew’s attention on move day.
- Separate and label items not intended for transport by your movers.
- Isolate checkbook, keys, passports, plane tickets, cash, credit cards and prescription medication. These should travel with you in your personal vehicle on move day.
- Confirm that telephones are in working order at both current and new locations.
- Defrost, drain, wash and dry refrigerators and freezers.
- Drain waterbed.
- Drain gas and oil from lawn mowers, generators, snow blowers, etc.
- Disconnect propane tank from gas grill. Your movers will not be able to transport the tank on move day.
- Clear walkways and driveway during inclement weather